Saturday, December 25, 2004

ACC Champions

by "Mad" Jay

I just LOVE the sound of "ACC Champion
Virginia Tech Hokies"! As I gathered with
some of my fellow alumni in the spring of
2003, we pondered the upheaval that threatened
the future of Virginia Tech football, and
yes threatened even the future of the
university as a whole. The possibility of
being forsaken and left to die on the vine
in the Big East had us all gravely concerned.
I distinctly recall saying that I would rather
cellar dwell in the ACC for a few years
rather than win a joke of a Big East conference.

Fast forward to December 4th, 2004 and the
Hokies not only made it into the ACC, but
they did something that seven of the current
schools in the ACC had never done - they
won the football championship. The Hokies are
headed to the Sugar Bowl after addressing their
most important need - getting rid of the NFL,
me-first mentality and play with heart at a
level that hearkens back to the 1999 squad and
other Hokies teams from the mid-90's.

Of course it was easy for fans and analysts alike
to diagnose the problem. It's a whole lot tougher
with the mentality that most of today's top
athletes seem to have, to solve the problem. Frank
Beamer has done a masterful job in executing this
plan. Taking the season one game at a time is
something I place almost religious fervor on, and
that's exactly what Coach Beamer was able to do.
Between that philosophy and deeply rooting the team
concept in the 2004 Hokies, Beamer deserves coach
of the year in the ACC and consideration for
national coach of the year awards.

The defensive performances against Miami and
Virginia just about brought tears to my eyes.
Apparently some of the top recruits in the nation
welled up with a little emotion as well,
considering the verbal commitments from recruits
that Tech has been receiving lately. Bud Foster
will be a head coach in the next five years. I
just hope that the Hokies are able to bring a
national title to Blacksburg by then.

The injury situation will hopefully have sorted
itself out by the Auburn game. The single most
important player the Hokies need to have healthy
is Jimmy Martin at left tackle. Protecting Bryan
Randall and giving Mike Imoh room to run are
absolutely critical against a defense just as
tough as Tech's. With a healthy team, Virginia
Tech will give Auburn all it can handle. I've said
all season that this team can play with anybody
when they've got their heads on straight and we
will certainly see if that's true since I believe
that Auburn should be playing for the national title.

Just so that you don't feel let down, Calm and Beloved
Reader, I am still infuriated with offensive coordinator
Brian Stinespring. The playcalling towards
the end of games has been pretty good, but the early
gameplan has been terrible and it will take a full 60
minutes of execution for Tech to beat Auburn. I can
honestly say, after an overachieving season, that
while I fully expect the Hokies to win, they really
can't lose in the Sugar Bowl. Already, the national
media isn't giving them a chance. Of course, this is
the same media that picked Tech to finish anywhere
from 6th to 8th in the ACC. Stay tuned for my Post-Bowl
Season report where I can channel all my pent-up
frustration at the BCS system. In the meantime,

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!

No comments: